Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

BreaksOwnYou wrote:
dj vodka wrote:
Quote:
I find it interesting that only %10 of the people at Kaskade 1 were at Kaskade 2 and I think this is symptomatic of a much bigger problem.

1. $20 cover vs. $5 (at Wish)
2. Lack of promotion (I didn't see one flyer or ad)
3. Sorry, but promoter's rep.

I didn't go because of reasons 1. and 3. And because there probably wouldn't have been much room to dance. And because of Cloud 9's drink prices.

I thought it was because you don't like house? That's what you were saying last thursday at wish Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:38 pm
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:
When I said both sides of the fence, I specifically meant Mazi. Perhaps the people at Mercury felt the same way about Mazi coming to Abbasso.

Perhaps -- but Abbasso had arranged for that event, not us. We took care of the logistics and made it part of our Summer Series that year, but Mazi was not in our original scope.

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:40 pm
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:
Hmm... I was responding to David but his post seems to have disappeared.

I removed my previous post. I decided that I had said more than enough already.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
TymezUp wrote:
When I said both sides of the fence, I specifically meant Mazi. Perhaps the people at Mercury felt the same way about Mazi coming to Abbasso.

Perhaps -- but Abbasso had arranged for that event, not us. We took care of the logistics and made it part of our Summer Series that year, but Mazi was not in our original scope.

I know that as well... but do you think anyone outside of you guys knew that? It doesn't really matter.

I feel that somehow, somewhere there is a bigger picture that we are missing.

Also, at this point the thread has REALLY gone off track so I'm going to move it to djs & promoters because this is dealing with both.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:57 pm
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
TymezUp wrote:
Hmm... I was responding to David but his post seems to have disappeared.

I removed my previous post. I decided that I had said more than enough already.

Ahh... but speaking your mind on this topic is good.

The reason being is that it can publicily put to rest any potential drama that gets spread word of mouth. Message board related stuff doesn't damage the scene... it is the IRL discussions that tumble down the line after it. Backbiting and the like. He said/She said stuff. Grr.. Keeping it public shuts down the drama if it is kept civil Smile

Posted by: PhuturePhysix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:03 pm
 Post Post subject: hmmmm

Well considering the John Howard thread disappeared, I guess we'll post this here in response to the "lack" of promotions for this show. (KASKADE)

My crew personally promoted this event, I apologize if we didn't run around he same block in the Warehouse district over and over hitting your car with flyers every day. But in defense to MY crew I've got an empty box of 5000 flyers that where scattered all over Cleveland and the burbs. Which is an average of 2500 per week.

They did our job and well too, don't BLAME the lack of promotions on the turnout...it didn't come from this end!

phuturephysix@yahoo.com
"to walk in someone elses footsteps, means you'll leave no impression on the earth"

Last edited by PhuturePhysix on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted by: Stark Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

Who is J. Howard?

Posted by: Archived Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:10 pm
 Post Post subject:

http://www.thedjlist.com/djs/JOHN_HOWARD/

Wink i couldn't help it

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:10 pm
 Post Post subject:

I absolutely agree, Doug, and I was writing a post to that effect before you moved the thread and the post was nuked.

I'm sorry if our posts reflect poorly on the community.

The real matter of the problem is the promoter/dj/club relationship. While many clubs here respect what the promoter and dj bring to the table in principle, many do not. Many are concerned with their own bottom line and do not reciprocate a mutual concern for the promoter's bottom line. As you said, Doug, clubs here have become nothing more than concert venues. There is no harmony in strategy between vision, promoter, and club.

We enjoyed a brief period of such harmony with John, Napoleon and Abbasso. Everyone had a common vision, the club paid their said commitments, and it worked well. There were times we did lose money or had disappointing opportunities to make some money for reinvestment that did not happen, but overall, we all knew we were there to do something different that hadn't been done before and to raise the bar of quality.

Last summer gave us the opportunity to branch out and offer our music and the talent we are connected with in different places. Unfortunately, not everyone respected what we were doing, nor did they share our vision.

In the Wish example, to the best of my knowledge, they had not worked with All World Entertainment prior to us booking Pete Moss and John Howard. DJ Heather also is on the All World roster. I'm betting the solicitation that Wish received was the blanket tour date mailer that we all get. Agencies look to work with promoters and clubs they have prior experience with. The rhetorical question is, "Could Wish have gotten All World Entertainment DJs had HeadRush not opened that door?" Do we hold any value for connecting that relationship?

So the real question is, Do we have any right to expect respect for the value we bring to the scene? If so, should fans hold clubs accountable for treating promoters like crap? Should clubs even look to promoters for expertise in talent acquisition?

I don't know the objective answer, because I am biased.

But I do know that HeadRush Music will not be advancing the scene here in the ways we have before. We have other priorities now. If you want that to change, then everyone needs to start holding clubs accountable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: thomar Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:12 pm
 Post Post subject:

Strauzzie wrote:

Wink i couldn't help it

oh, thats rich!

btw, getting through the mix- liking it a lot better! few more listens and i'll be ready to give you the full details!

Posted by: candice radin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:13 pm
 Post Post subject:

Stark wrote:
Who is J. Howard?

dan- you're ahead of him on the DJ List Wink Laughing

i hope you know, i'm just messing around with all of this. i just think it's a stupid list...nothing against you Smile

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

thomar wrote:
btw, getting through the mix- liking it a lot better! few more listens and i'll be ready to give you the full details!

most excellent!

I<3CNL
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:18 pm
 Post Post subject:

Strauzzie wrote:

Wink i couldn't help it

Don't let the description fool you. He'll play trippier shit than a psytrance set on acid. :wink:

Posted by: Stark Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:19 pm
 Post Post subject:

ha ha...
Why don't all you comedians make me my own personal website?? I don't mind, you can pay for it, and run it.

shit,

Even Evolution is on it, Doug is on it, but Starky(did you like the 3rd person reference...that was a djlist tactic) takes all the shit, real nice. :wink:

and of course...because the much hated and ridiculed djlist, exists...i know who J.Howard is.

I<3CNL
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:32 pm
 Post Post subject:

http://www.headrushmusic.com/interviews/john_howard_05-2003.shtml

Posted by: Jugoe Boss Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

http://www.thedjlist.com/djs/JUGOE/

Laughing

If I had any money I'd have socks on.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:
Don't let the description fool you. He'll play trippier shit than a psytrance set on acid. :wink:

That is a bit of a stretch, but he does play damn good house...he reminds me a lot of doc martin (both physically and in the music he plays Wink )

Starky wrote:
ha ha...
Why don't all you comedians make me my own personal website?? I don't mind, you can pay for it, and run it.

shit,

Even Evolution is on it, Doug is on it, but Starky(did you like the 3rd person reference...that was a djlist tactic) takes all the shit, real nice.

It's not in doug's sig line. or evan's. or mine for that matter. :wink:

sooner or later, Starky, you will learn to take the smartasses on this board, myself included, with about five pounds of salt.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:48 pm
 Post Post subject:

neuspeed wrote:
you will learn to take the smartasses on this board, myself included, with about five pounds of salt.

five pounds cain't hol me, biatch!

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:56 pm
 Post Post subject:

I think Amy and Doug both hit on the mutual respect thing between DJ's / Promoters / Club Owners/Mgmt. The only way that you're not going to have these pissing matches over who booked who and the like is everyone who's booking genre X shows has enough repect for everyone else booking genre X shows that they don't step on each others toes. That's obviously never completely going to happen in some genres, so people get terrritorial and grumpy when someone invades their 'territory' in hopes that their grumpiness will steer people away from the shows that they want. As long as there are promoters who used to be door attendants and other oppurtunists this stuff is bound to happen.

The moral of the story is to either (a) build a relationship with an agent so that you are the only one the agent goes to with certain DJ's or (b) stay ahead of everyone else so you don't have to worry about others booking the stuff you're booking. Personally I like option b, and it's worked for us thus far.

I<3CNL
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:24 pm
 Post Post subject:

Whoa, just to clarify...I'm not 'grumpy' in an effort to steer people away from the JoHo show. I would not do that to John or the music. I don't think that their lack of respect for us and our staff is a reason not to enjoy his set.

Although, I think maybe Brad might remember my coming down to the basement saying, "You might want to be prepared to take your set upstairs in case we pack up and head out." It was that bad.

We're a pretty straightforward bunch, and our only request is this: Don't fuck with us.

We're simply calling it out the way it is so that others can learn from it. I don't think a lot of people understand how bookings and the club/promoter/dj/agency thing work, and hopefully this discussion has been a lesson.

And, BTW, the psytrance on acid was an exaggeration... Check out the word 'hyperbole' in your nearest literary term dictionary. Razz

Page 2 of 5